Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Things I Miss About New York





Ever since I moved out of New York City, I can't help but get nostalgic sometimes especially when summer begins to peek its head. While the Philadelphia suburbs have been great and also very close to a city themselves, nothing beats New York City (sorry friends!). Below are the things about New York City that have me daydreaming lately...


1. Working with what you got.

Everyone owns whatever they have in the most sincere and genuine way possible. Whether it's their attitude, style or tiny apartment they pay too much for - not only does no one apologize if these things are simple or outrageous but they make it look good and completely respectable. I always got the feeling that people were exactly who they were from the moment you met them (note: I have a boyfriend so this may be different in the dating scene) and if you didn't like them it was okay, no one would be mad about it, everyone would move on and share a drink the next weekend. Additionally, no one will ever be able to beat the interior design and lifestyle hacks of someone who lives in New York City. 


2. Walking everywhere

Even when you're bored or have no money, walking around New York brings the same feelings and culture as a night out. You can walk from different neighborhoods to different boroughs, over bridges, by water, past unique shops and, of course, restaurants and bars to jot down once you get your paycheck. There's also Central Park and Prospect Park, which offer the most beautiful green settings in the industrial park that is New York. My favorite place to walk will always be around the West Village weaving between Morton and Barrow then down the piers overlooking the Hudson River. Oh how I miss the sunsets from there and running more and harder than ever before due to the mass amount of runners who look like they just left the Nike ad on Broadway. All in all, I've never had better conversations than on a walk with friends. 





3. The coffee.

Oh, the coffee, THE COFFEE! From Prodigy and The Smile to Gorilla and Blue Bottle...I have yet to find a coffee shop in this here parts that competes with the mass amount of excellent coffee shops with exceptional atmospheres. I would do anything for a Prodigy iced coffee to start my mornings again. 

4. The competitive drive.

This kind of breeds off of number one...Although this part of New York chewed me up and spit me out, I learned the most from it. There is an underlying competitive drive to New York. It's fast-paced, energetic and if you can't match it, you'll feel a little defeated. Now, I hope you aren't picturing people acting like wolves and tearing their teeth into one another. It's not like that, well it might be but that's not what I want to talk about. What I mean is everyone is doing amazing things, they know they are and they always have their eyes on the prize. Everyone has a new thought, a new business, or a new handbag and chance are they will get all of the above. When you're in New York, you're surrounded by the most driven and focused people you will ever interact with. It's a kind of environment that you either feed off or can shove you to the back of the pack. 

5. The amount of bouquets you walk by on the street. 

I mean, they're flowers, do you really need an explanation?

6. Listening to music. 

Music becomes something completely different when its listened to walking up from the subway stairs, through the East Village or across the Brooklyn Bridge...it just does, I can't explain it. 

While I am very happy out here in the suburbs, these are the things that I just miss about New York added upon the rooftop bars, food, fashion and mainly summer time. What are the unique things that you love about your city?

No comments:

Post a Comment