Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Train Seat.

Hello Sunday night, we meet again. While I giggle over Jonah Hill's SNL episode and pick my favorite outfit out from the Grammy's, I thought I would share a little piece of writing I did this weekend. Yesterday, I woke up early to take the train to my parent's house for the night. I absolutely love spending the weekend away and catching up with myself. It's nice to be out of the city and listen to your thoughts and play with adorable cats. So, for the first time in a very long time, I wrote a little something-something while traveling. (Side note: I think trains may be my favorite way of transportation.)





I wonder who sat in this seat just the other day - who saw the things I’m seeing, who passed the same stops I’m passing and who smelled the horrible smell of the train’s burning tar that I am smelling now. Do you think they were on their computer too? Maybe reading a book that made them think about the person who makes their heart skip a beat? Were they happy to be leaving and then arriving or were they wishing the train could turn around?

I wonder if they saw the same creek I just saw and thought about the one behind their childhood home they used to jump in when it was warm and how there was always a deep green frog dancing along the edges.

Maybe it was a couple sitting in this love seat on the train going to meet the girlfriends’ parents for the weekend in Princeton.  I bet the boyfriend said something really funny and had the girlfriend laughing loud enough for the boyfriend to start giggling and telling her “shhhh, everyone’s looking,” but the more she held the louder the laughter got. Finally, they both managed to pull it together and sit quietly holding hands with little smirks on opposite edges of their mouth, creating an illusion of a big smile when they put their heads together.  


Perhaps it was a child who sat in this seat. It was the child’s first train ride and every little movement made the child gasp and smile. Each time another train passed the window the child's hands would stick to the window as if they could touch the train. 

Maybe, it was each and every one of these people at different times of the day and finishing off with a girl in a green beanie writing all about them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment